Pages

Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Girly

Lately I've been really indulging my girly side.  I've always been obsessed with lip products, and I love painting my nails.  Growing up, though, I didn't do much more than that.  I didn't carry a purse until college, and I didn't wear any makeup except the lip products until later than that. 

Eventually I got more into makeup, but it was still fairly simplistic, and I've gradually found myself more interested in such things.  In recent months, though, I've definitely had more fun with it, though.  I enjoy playing around with makeup more than I used to, although I still refuse to do anything that takes more than 5-10 minutes to complete.  :-)  I love trying out new hair products, new nail polishes and related items. 

Friday night I went to a nail polish swap at a girlfriend's house.  We all brought the colors we were tired of, or that didn't turn out the way we wanted, as well as some sort of snack or drink to contribute.  The evening was full of nail polish and makeup talk, wine, cheese, crackers, cookies and other assorted delights.  It was spectacularly fun for such a silly little thing, and I met some new girls, saw some others I'd met before, and ultimately just had a great time.  I came home with more polishes than I'd brought!

A couple of weeks ago I ordered a Bare Minerals starter kit from Ulta.com, and through the magic of Bare Minerals and Ulta free samples, I ended up with a box full of products to try out.  Hair, makeup, perfume, brushes, you name it.  I felt like a little kid on Christmas morning!

In recent weeks I've bought several pieces of bright, fun jewelry for my brother's upcoming wedding.  I bought shoes for the same wedding, and a dress.  This weekend I put it all together and tried everything on and took pictures to send my mom.  Could I be any girlier?

Friday I stopped at Origins at Pentagon City mall.  As I'd mentioned, I've been breaking out like crazy lately, so I picked up a couple of products I'd read good things about.  This weekend I tried a couple of masks out and they were very helpful and made my skin so soft and nice. 

I love doing all of this girly stuff.  I like having pretty nails and hair that smells good and is soft, and pops of color in my jewelry and cute shoes.  I like playing dress up, playing with makeup, experimenting with my hair and clothes.  I love it all.  It's nice to feel pretty and to do indulgent things and to have my hair done some days JUST BECAUSE.  I felt attractive and cute for the first time in weeks this weekend, and that is something invaluable.

10 comments:

  1. I think you'll love the Bare Minerals kit! It's awesome - definitely my favorite powder/blush products I've ever had. Glad you're having fun =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yesssss, own the girliness! For me, the key to feeling sexy and attractive is embracing my femininity. My guilty pleasure is a weekly manicure...thankfully my nail lady charges a whopping $10.

    Sometimes, I feel sorry for men that they can't have an evening of swapping nailpolish and drinking wine. (But then I remember they earn more $ and I stop feeling sorry for them, ha!) :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love doing my own nails, so I save up my indulgences for a) buying the nail polish and b) getting my hair blown out every now and again. :)

      Delete
  3. Well, now I want to go play with make-up and paint my nails. A nail polish swap sounds like a fantastic idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is! She did it about 6 months ago and I missed that one, but I will definitely be attending all future ones! :)

      Delete
  4. That nail polish swap sounds pretty awesome! What a good idea.

    I liked the Bare Minerals set, its light, yet gives good coverage. Although, I don't use it anymore. I've moved on to Beauty Balm, because its a moisturizer and is suppose to be healthy for oily skin (like mine) and it has good SPF coverage (as I work outside part of the day). I still use the brushes that came with the BM kit thou! They are pretty damn good and if you keep up maintenance on it, they will last long time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right? My friend is always doing fun things like that. We bond over nail polish and makeup. ;)

      Yes, I'm still figuring out the Bare minerals, as I don't like to wear a lot of that stuff every day, so it's more of an occasional thing.

      Delete
  5. A little pampering goes a long way. You deserve it. I want to attend a nail polish swap so bad. What a fantastic idea. I loved Bare Minerals for a while, but then my skin started freaking out from it, so we had to break up. I miss it. Great product, just not for me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sounds like you are focusing more on you. And that's probably the phase right now that's vital after all that dating bs.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I go through phases like that. One month I'm all about putting my make-up on and fixing my hair every day, and the next I'm in ponytail and minimal make-up. Enjoy indulging your girly side!

    ReplyDelete