Pages

Monday, July 25, 2016

All of the Things

This post is brought to you by a sudden, overwhelming realization:

There is not enough time for all of the things.  All of the books.  All of the movies.  All of the shows. All of the places.  All of the things.

I realized it today as I downloaded two more books to my Kindle.  The Kindle that already has several other books in the Library I haven't read yet, and a pre-order book that will download tomorrow.  This is in addition to the 7-8 books I own at home in real life book form that I haven't read yet, 4 of which I got for my birthday.

Books

Currently reading:
Housebroken: Admissions of an Untidy Life - Laurie Notaro

Recently read:
In Twenty Years - Allison Winn Scotch
Live Fast Die Hot - Jenny Mollen
Why We Came to the City - Kristopher Jansma
The Drowning Girls - Paula Treick DeBoard

I actually really recommend all four of these books!  The Jenny Mollen book is a humorous memoir. She's married to the actor, Jason Biggs.  LOVED In Twenty Years, but that's also the freshest in my mind since it's the last book I finished.  It was a fantastic read.  Why We Came to the City is a GORGEOUS read.  I truly loved this book.  The Drowning Girls was also very good.  Kept me interested all the way to the end!

Waiting to be read:
All the Missing Girls - Megan Miranda
The Mourning Hours - Paula Treick DeBoard
The Woman in Cabin 10 - Ruth Ware
By the Numbers - Jen Lancaster
The Good Neighbor - A.J. Banner
One True Loves - Taylor Jenkins Reid
One Less Problem Without You - Beth Harbison (Comes out Tuesday)
A Man Called Ove - Fredrick Backman
The Girls in the Garden - Lisa Jewell
You Will Know Me - Megan Abbott
** These are just the ones on my Kindle and the books from home that I remember having.  :-o

I realized it today as I looked at my TIVO and Netflix queues.  I've not watched any episodes of the new season of Mr. Robot yet.  I'm behind one episode of Unreal, two of Animal Kingdom, I have all three episodes of The Night Of to watch because I keep hearing such raves about it.  Plus, we watched two episodes of Stranger Things on Friday and I'm in love with it and desperate to get back to it.  I still haven't finished the second season of The Unbreakable Kimmie Schmidt.  Let's not even get into how behind I am on House of Cards, how I never found time to get back to Orphan Black (I only finished Season 1).

I realized it as I considered the movies I want to see, both in theater and otherwise.  I want to see the new Bourne movie.  I still want to see The Conjuring 2, I want to see Suicide Squad when it comes out and I don't even know why.  Recently my desire to finally see Room has ramped up again and The Age of Adaline is available on Amazon Prime and I really wanted to see that.  I want to re-watch The Blair Witch Project in anticipation of the September sequel.  I want to watch Clue again because it is one of my favorites.  BF still hasn't seen The Silence of the Lambs and I need to rectify that.

I realized it as I considered the places I want to go in coming months.  Yes, I'd love to go on exciting trips to new places, but sue me....I also love the familiar.  I'd love to go see my friend P in Atlanta this fall.  I'd like to get back to Omaha to see my family, watch some Nebraska football and start getting used to the new normal without my grandfather.  The family reunion visit was not a true representation because it was so chock full of family visiting and things to do. I'd love to go to Kansas City to see a Chiefs game with BF because everyone should experience an NFL game at Arrowhead. I also keep thinking about finally getting BF to the west coast since he's never been, and I haven't been in years.  I'd love to go to California or Arizona or Colorado...or all of them! I love the idea of more weekend trips to local places within driving distance, including possibly for college and NFL football games.

There's not enough time for all the things.  All the books, TV shows, movies, adventures.  It's hard enough to fit in the required things like flossing before bed and getting to the gym EVER.  I'm always juggling the little life things---DMV registration renewals, car recalls (my car is at the dealership and I'm on week 3 of a rental because of those faulty airbags!), chores around the house, hand washing my swimsuit for the beach this weekend, taking books and clothes to donate, getting to Costco because we're running out of tilapia and chicken breasts.  Sigh.

The beach.  At least there's this tiny, miniscule vacation this weekend.  A getaway, if you will.  I'm going with my friend, A, and we're leaving bright and early Saturday morning to go to Ocean City, Maryland.  We plan to go directly to the beach since we can't check into the hotel until later in the afternoon and we want to maximize our time there.  So we'll beach, then check into our hotel, which is right on the end of the Boardwalk.  Then back out to the Boardwalk for exploring and rides and dinner and drinks.  Breakfast and beach on Sunday and then we'll head back to real life again.  Such a tiny trip, but I'll take it!

One of these days I'll fit all of the things in.  Or I will prioritize and some of these things will drop out (most likely some of the movies, some of the shows, sadly a book or two).  The trips won't all happen and that's OK.  Like it or not the day to day has to get done, the full time job has to be a priority, and I'll be like everyone else trying to figure out how to fit it all in.

In the meantime, I'm off to count down the days until my tiny escape from reality.  Once I get back from that, I'll be that much closer to my true escape, which is OBX.  Got my final payment notification for August 4, which means that on that date we're only a month from our seven days in Duck and my nine days off from work!  Maybe there will be some time on that trip to knock out some of those books.  ;-)

5 comments:

  1. You're so right...there's not enough time in the summer!! But as long as you're enjoying life! OBX should be good for catching up though, I read 3 books while I was down there. Although, I added 5 to my stack and digital library while I was there! We got home over the weekend and spent all day Sunday being lazy and catching up on shows so we're finally caught up on Animal Kingdom. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I usually get a couple of books read while in OBX! Hoping to get through at least part of a book this weekend in Ocean City. :) Isn't it crazy how your list of things to read just grows so quickly sometimes? There are a ton of books I want to read that have come out this summer and that will still come out in coming weeks.

      Love Animal Kingdom. It's such an intense show!

      Delete
  2. I have 2 pages of books to read on my Kindle, luckily I have the OG small version. I'll have to make a blog entry list and take recommendations on which to read first. Gym and Costco is all I tend to make time for, although I did some meal prep last week, then was tired of the food I made by workday #2.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a tiny paperwhite and it's so nice and portable. I started "The Woman in Cabin 10" yesterday and am loving it so far, btw!

      You should definitely make a book list on the blog-I love sharing book ideas and getting input on what people love! I'm right now just alternating between lighter fare and darker books to balance things out.

      Delete
  3. Some of your to-read books are on my list too, a list that constantly grows. Do you use Goodreads? I find it extremely helpful to track what I've read and what I want to read, and to stalk my friends' books for suggestions.

    I think I need to trade in my Kindle Fire (a present, not my choice) for a Paperwhite.

    ReplyDelete