Pages

Wednesday, February 3, 2016

Oh, the places we'll go...

So we booked our beach house for our now traditional Labor Day week trip.  :-)  We've booked earlier each year, and as a result each year our rentals have gotten a little better!  This year the improvement is in proximity to the beach.  We are only two lots away from the beach!  One of the decks looks straight out towards the beach, which is awesome.  We're still not ON the beach, but that will probably never happen.  :-)  The house has a private pool, a hot tub, and a pool table. It has a 2 person whirlpool tub in the Master bathroom, a hammock on one of the deck levels and a wet bar in the lower level. The house is awesome and I'm excited to have it on the books!

I usually book with my tax refund, but this year everything is all screwed up.  For one, my employer is currently redoing my W-2 because of last minute changes to the federal transportation benefit.  I was told it could take up to four weeks to get my amended W-2, which is super annoying since I usually file my taxes within the week I get my W-2.  However, the change will reduce my taxable income by over $1K, so it's worth the wait.

Also, it appears that participating in my Firm's HSA (Health Savings Account) has also complicated my taxes a bit.  I'm not sure how, but I definitely have more forms than I usually do!  Hopefully that will also benefit me as I believe that's also pre-tax stuff.  If I understand correctly, I am waiting for one more additional form from my employer relating to that, so everything is frozen in place.

Returning to the happier subject of travel, our Poconos trip is less than three weeks away!  I'm excited for the escape and looking forward to the solo time with BF.  It will be a lovely way to celebrate a belated V-Day solo (we'll have J the actual weekend) as well as to celebrate our two years together. It's also an area of PA I've never been to, so that should be fun!  I enjoy checking out new places.

Beyond that, my gf, A and I are planning on a long weekend trip to NYC in April.  Short, but sweet and hopefully jam packed with fun!  We always have such a good time together, so I'm excited to get out of town and have a girls weekend.  :-)  We will surely see a show while we're there and there's no shortage of things to do in the city.  I haven't been in a few years, which is crazy considering how close it is.

I love looking at my calendar and knowing that so many good things are going on.  Poconos in February, NYC in April, Omaha in May, hopefully a visit by my friend, T in June, probably a long weekend getaway in July with BF & J for birthdays, OBX in September...so much to look forward to!

In other news, it is seriously gloomy here today!  Drizzly and gray with a chance of some decent rain and maybe a thunderstorm later on.  Hopefully it will continue the crazy melting of our snow, which has already diminished greatly in this warmer than usual week!

I'm having lunch with a friend today, so that should be a nice diversion from the day.  Hopefully it's not pouring rain when I have to head out!

I worked out with my trainer last night for the first time in two weeks because of the snow.  Wow, did he push me hard!  I left that gym out of breath and with noodle arms and legs.  I legit came home and collapsed on the couch, totally drained.  He is tough, but he pushes me in a good way and I find myself doing things I didn't think I was capable of, which is awesome.  However, I fear for my arms later today, ha!

I suppose that's enough rambling for now.  Happy wednesday to all!


10 comments:

  1. It is so gloomy today! I love having trips planned to look forward to. Unfortunately, since we are trying to buy a house our vacations are not happening, unless they are at my parents beach house!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you have your parents beach house as an option, that's good for when you're trying to be responsible adult types. :) I spent so many years never having a week off at a time, but now I'm spoiled and the idea of a Labor Day week without my beach escape seems tragic! ;)

      Delete
  2. Yay for trips and the OBX! I always like hearing about your OBX updates since we go in July and I'm ready for a reminder by the time you go. :) Definitely nice to look forward to amongst the tax stuff. I, too, have to wait on my taxes this year. I normally do them right away but my employer told me they'll send another form for the HSA stuff and they have until March 31 to do that. Um....really? I'm hoping it's sooner!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, all these delayed tax docs are really cramping my style. :/ I got yet another email from Acctg at work telling me NOT to file until I get my amended W-2, and I'm still waiting on the other HSA form!

      Delete
  3. So many trips! So much to look forward to! I currently don't have any vacays planned Bc my life is kinda up in the air right now. The Poconos are up near where my parents live in PA! Funny but I've only ever been there once with my friend whose parents had timeshare. Beautiful woods and lakes up there. Enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should update more on the whole life being up in the air business! Are you still considering relocating? I hope you are figuring things out. :)

      I'm excited to check out the Poconos just because I like going to new places. I heard it's beautiful, like you've said, so that's promising!

      Delete
  4. I can't even think about taxes right now, this is going to be an unusually complicated year for me and I think I'm going to owe. Sigh, death and taxes.

    That's awesome that you booked Labor Day already...if you know you're definitely going, it's worth it to get a good deal by locking it in early. Plus the trip seems so far away right now but it's totally going to sneak up on you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh about the taxes! That's unfortunate. :/

      Yes, totally thrilled to get Labor Day trip booked. It definitely pays to book early. We've done it earlier each year and each year our rental is a bit cooler. :)

      Delete
  5. I usually have my taxes done by now, and already have my return! Because of the stupid health care requirement I'm waiting on 1095b forms from the marketplace and my old employer. Combine that with an address change, and I'll be lucky to have that stuff done by the deadline. Or I'm worried about that at least.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh, that would made me stressy, too! Supposedly we're getting our revised W-2s next week...ABOUT DAMN TIME. :/

      Delete