Pages

Tuesday, April 21, 2015

Benadryl is my BFF

This is the time of year where the prettier it gets outside, the more my allergies kick my ass. Everything is blooming and going green and it's so lovely, but so miserable on my poor sinuses. Yesterday turned out to be a pretty warm, muggy day, so the house was toasty when we went to bed. We ended up opening one of the bedroom windows to get some air moving, as well as having the fan on in the room.  It helped cool things down a bit, but I woke up at least three times overnight and by the time I actually got up, I had a pretty pounding headache.  I took a Benadryl because it works better than my Claritin in a pinch, and I knew I had an hour bus ride in to work through the sleepies Benadryl brings. It packed a real punch and I was exhausted on the ride in.  But on the upside, my headache cleared out and I felt human again.  Cheers for that!

My ongoing to-do list is shockingly small right now.  I'm pretty caught up on most things that need to be done, which is a nice change.  My main annoyance right now is that I have to get to the Post Office because my old gym requires notification via Certified Mail to terminate membership. LAME. I typed up my notice letter yesterday and will likely be going over my lunch hour just to get this done.  While out, I plan to pick up an RX refill at CVS, get another Burt's Bees Tinted Lip Balm for my purse, and maybe swing by Robek's for a smoothie.  We had a giant breakfast at work today in honor of Staff Appreciation, and it was fabulous, but requires a much smaller lunch as a result.  ;-)

Got to the gym last night even though I'd just worked through a migraine on my way home (again, THANKS, ALLERGIES).  Did 40-45 minutes of cardio and called it a night even though I'd wanted to get some strength training in.  Hopefully I'll be able to get a more complete workout tonight, ie 30 minutes cardio and 30 minutes strength/weights.  BF is going to be uber consumed by sports tonight, as the local baseball, basketball and hockey teams are all playing this evening.  That's a little much for me, so I will definitely not be sad to cut out for some gym time in the midst of that.  I really want to get back into the routine of it all, as that helps me so much to just know that it's part of my night.

My trial membership expires today, so I'll be signing up for my actual membership this evening. Guess I'm committing myself to this!  I definitely need it, as I've been the poster child for over-indulgence lately.  I have Omaha coming up, with lots of family pics, in less than 3 weeks, so there's not a ton I can do for that.  But I do know that just changing my workout behavior (READ:  working out on the regular) makes me more vigilant about my eating habits, and it just generally makes me feel better about myself.  Beyond that, summer is just around the corner!  I want to feel good.  :-)

I can't believe it's almost May already!  Now that I mentioned Omaha, I have to say I'm so excited for this visit.  I haven't been home since Christmas, and beyond that, I'm just really excited to have BF finally meet my family and a couple of my Omaha girlfriends.  It's a couple weeks out, but I'm really hoping we have nice weather since we want to go to the Zoo and definitely spend time outdoors if possible.  Two and a half weeks!


4 comments:

  1. Benadryl is my enemy! I only take it when I absolutely must. It makes me a zombie for, like, days. Glad you found a gym that you like! If you feel like you need it, it is totally worth it. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Loving the gym. I just do better with structure. :-)

      Delete
  2. A certified letter to quit the gym?!? This reminds me if the Friends episode where Chandler tries to quit the gym! Haha I've never had allergies but my sister always dealt with them. I feel bad for you guys! Hopefully after the Spring pollen clears out you'll be better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah! Isn't it crazy? I signed the contract for the new gym last night and it was the same deal for termination. So bizarre.

      I never had allergies until I moved to DC. Lucky me, LOL.

      Delete