Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

I'd rather be reading

I've barely read anything all summer.  For the last couple of months I've picked up and put down the same two books multiple times without ever making any real headway in either of them.  Yesterday I picked one of them up ("Why We Broke Up" by Daniel Handler) and finished it.  Last night I picked up the other ("Joyland" by Stephen King) and I made some good progress on it in my morning commute, and I look forward to reading more over lunch.

Sunday I bought two books online via Amazon:  "Heart-Shaped Box" by Joe Hill and "Locke and Key Vol. 1 Welcome to Lovecraft", also by Joe Hill.  Today on my Kindle I bought "Human Remains" by Elizabeth Haynes and "The Silent Wife" by A.S.A. Harrison.  I also ordered probably a dozen samples of other books, and this doesn't acknowledge the fact that I have two books at home waiting to be read: "The Ocean at the End of the Lane" by Neil Gaiman and "Wool Omnibus Edition" by Hugh Howey. 

I LOVE having this many books waiting to be read.  I love the options.  I love that some are Kindle books, some are real books, some have illustrations, some are short, some are long.  I want to throw myself headfirst back into reading with abandon.  I want to become so immersed in a book that I want to read it every spare second, so entranced that I lose track of time.

I've been so busy with real life things lately.  Baseball games, birthday parties, happy hours, movies, training sessions, dinner dates with girlfriends, brunches.  My calendar has been packed and it's been wonderful and I'm doing so many fun things with so many different people.  I've felt exquisitely happy in the last couple of weeks for any number of reasons, and coincidentally, I've gone on no dates in that time period.  It's just been me, my friends, my solo time, and it's been wonderful.

Last night I stayed in and made homemade macaroni and cheese.  Not good for the waistline, but good for the soul.  I have leftovers for lunch today, and I will eat them while I continue to read "Joyland".  All day long all I've thought about is books, and going home to get my books from Amazon, and what one I will read next.  It's kind of intoxicating to have so many choices!

Finally, my lunch hour is here and I get to go spend an hour somewhere else, in another world, with some awesome food to quell my hunger at the same time.  Happy tuesday, indeed.  :-)

10 comments:

  1. Perfect! I needed some book suggestions. I think I'll hibernate the rest of summer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad to help! Hope you enjoy some of them. Started "The Silent Wife" last night and it's pretty good so far. Couple co-workers heard I was going to read it and are excited to discuss it once I'm done, LOL.

      Delete
  2. I haven't spent much time reading this summer either and this post just reminded me of that wonderful feeling you get when you're so immersed in a novel that you literally rush home and read into the wee hours! Ugh I need some books stat!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! I love feeling that again after a summer of reading laziness. Lots and lots of good books out now and more coming out in the next month or two. My amazon wish list is overflowing, as that's where I keep track of things I want to read.

      Delete
  3. Loved Heart Shaped Box, it was creepy. Check out Horns if you haven't read it. I just started the Silent Wife myself. Other good one's are Into the darkest corner by Elizabeth Haynes, The Dinner by Herman Koch

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I read a Kindle sample of Horns awhile back and thought it was interesting, but never bought the whole thing. Read "Into the Darkest Corner" awhile back and LOVED it, hence why I was so anxiously awaiting her newest book! Will check into the last one. :)

      Delete
    2. The Dinner was good. I just downloaded The Silent Wife as well.

      Delete
    3. I'll be interested to hear your thoughts on The Silent Wife. I read that one really quickly! Got a sample of The Dinner on Kindle. Will probably update with another quick reading post since this is my latest obsession LOL.

      Delete
  4. Reading and mac and cheese are 2 of my very favorite things! Reading is such a rewarding hobby and I am going to check out some of the books you listed, thank you!

    ReplyDelete